In this chapter, we provide UP Board Solutions for Class 10 Commerce Chapter 5 Filing, Which will very helpful for every student in their exams. Students can download the latest UP Board Solutions for Class 10 Commerce Chapter 5 Filing pdf, free UP Board Solutions Class 10 Commerce Chapter 5 Filing book pdf download. Now you will get step by step solution to each question. Up board solutions Class 10 commerce पीडीऍफ़
Filing Objective Type Questions (1 Mark)
In folder filing system, folder file is made of:
(a) Hard Cardboard Sheet
(b) Soft Cardboard Sheet
(c) Thick Cardboard Sheet
(d) None of these
(c) Thick Cardboard Sheet
Index cards or guide cards are made of
(a) Cardboard Papers
(b) Hardboard Papers
(c) Colour Papers
(d) Black and White Papers
(a) Cardboard Papers
If the Pigeon-hole system is adopted according to English alphabets these are ……… compartments.
Most modem way of filing under Horizontal filing system is …………. system.
(a) Pigeon-hole Filing System
(b) Vertical or upright Filing System
(c) Shanon Filing System
(d) None of these
(c) Shanon Filing System
………. is an improved form of a folder filing system.
(a) Clip filing
(b) Shanon Filing System
(c) Pigeon-hole Filing System
(d) None of these
(a) Clip filing
Filing Definite Answer Type Questions (1 Mark)
Which is the most modern way of filing under the horizontal filing system?
Shanon Filing System.
In which filing system a hard and thick steel wire is used?
Wire filing or Spindle Filling System.
Which cards are made of cardboard paper?
Index cards or guide cards.
What kind of filing system mostly used in Government offices?
Cardboard Filing System.
What kind of file is made of thick cardboard sheet?
Filing Very Short Answer Type Questions (2 Marks)
What is filing?
In common language ‘Filing’ means keeping papers in its container i.e., file. The systematic preservation of letters for future reference is known as filing and it is an art of great value to modern business.
What is vertical filing?
Still, further advancement in the art of filing is the vertical or upright filing system. Under this system, the files or folders containing letters are kept in the vertical position. The letters under this system remain unfastened as against the flat filing system where they are carefully fastened.
Explain Shanon Filing.
This is the most modern way of filing under the horizontal filing system. It contains all the merits of a good filing system. For this system, a cabinet is required which contains 4 to 64 compartments or drawers. The number of compartments varies according to the need. This type of cabinet can be purchased from the market.
What is wire filing?
Wire filing is the oldest and simplest system of filing. In this system, a hard and thick steel wire is used. One end of the wire remains attached to a wooden piece and the other end remains painted and bent letters, vouchers, post-cards etc. are threaded on its hooked piece of wire as they are received.
Filing Short Answer Type Questions (4 Marks)
What are the advantages of vertical filing? (UP 2016)
Advantages of vertical filing are as follows:
- Secrecy: This system maintains secrecy because under this if the file of a customer is taken out, other files are not founded. This maintain the secrecy.
- Safety: Due to locking arrangements in the drawers, letters are safe. There is no danger of misplacing of letters.
- Scientific: Along with the letters of the customers, their replies are also kept inside the folders. Thus, this method is more scientific.
- Elasticity: This system has the merit of elasticity. The number of folders can easily be increased or decreased according to the requirement.
- Modern System: This is the most modern system of filing which is most commonly used nowadays.
Give the main objects of filing.
Following are the main objects of filing:
- Preservation of letters for future reference.
- Filing saves important documents from destruction.
- If there is any dispute arising between the business house and its correspondent. It can be settled with reference to past correspondence. It can act as evidence in the court of law.
- Some documents are legally required to be preserved for a certain number of years.
- Sometimes, instead of placing a new order, customers are the supplier to repeat the order. In such a case reference to past letters becomes necessary.
Give some essentials of good filing system. (UP 2015)
Essential of good filing system are as follows:
- Simplicity: Filing system should be very simple so that a man of general intelligence can easily operate it. There should not be any need for training for this type of work.
- Safety: The main purpose of filing is to preserve the documents, so the filing system should be safe. That system which safeguards the documents from rats, insects, moisture etc.
- Less Space Required: nowadays business houses suffer the accommodation problem. For this reason, filing should be of that type in which less space is required.
- Economical: Expenses of filing should not be a burden on business. Cost of filing should be on less as possible. Only that filing system will be popular in which lesser expenses are incurred.
- Easily Reachable: Files should be kept at a very convenient place where one can reach easily.
Filing Long Answer Type Questions (8 Marks)
What is filing? Describe vertical filing in detail. (UP 2001)
Describe the vertical filing system. (UP 2001)
What do you understand by filing? Describe the objectives of filing.(UP 2009, 14)
Define filing. What are the advantages of filing? Describe briefly. (UP 2018)
Meaning and Definition of Filing. In common language ‘Filing’ means keeping papers in their container i.e. file. But this definition of filing is not at all appropriate. Different authors have defined filing in different ways. Some of the important definitions are given below:
According to Thomas Evelyn, “Filing is the systematic classification of records and their safe preservation. It is the storing of letters, papers and documents so that they can be readily found when required.”
According to Stephenson, “Filing provides a mechanism whereby business record may be stored so as to be readily available when required.”
It is very necessary for the proper functioning of a business house that all inward and outward correspondence of business should be carefully preserved for future reference. For this reason, it is required that there should be a good arrangement of preserving the copies of the letter coming in and going out of the office. These letters may be required at any time in future due to one reason or another. The letters should be preserved so systematically that no time would be wasted in finding them out.
The systematic preservation of letters for future reference is known as filing and ‘ it is an art of great value to modern business. If the filing system is inefficient then it creates a lot of trouble for the business house. So, the primary object of filing is the preservation of letters for future reference in a systematic manner.
Vertical Filing System: Under vertical or upright filing system, files or folders containing letters are kept in a vertical position. This system requires an almirah or cabinet containing drawers or compartments. Under this system, files are kept vertically and for that reason, drawers are made quite deep. The cabinet can also be locked, if needed, for the purpose of safety and secrecy.
Essential Requirements of Vertical Filing System: Following are the requirements of vertical filing system:
1. Cabinet: Under a vertical filing system, an almirah containing drawers or compartment is of prime requirement. A minimum number of drawers is two but the maximum number of drawers depends upon the requirements of the business house. Drawers are quite deep because the files are kept vertically.
2. Folder: In every business house some customer is regular and some irregular. Those customers who are regularly having regular correspondence are allotted a separate folder. This folder is made of strong cardboard which is folded from the middle so that the letters can be easily arranged in it. The back portion of the cardboard is slightly longer than the front side. The portion so extended contains an address or symbol of the customer. These folders are kept in the drawers either numerically, alphabetically or geographically depending upon the circumstances of the business house.
3. Index Cards or Guide Cards: These index cards or guide cards are also made of cardboard paper. The cards are kept in such a manner that they are slightly higher than the folder so that on the higher portion, full detail of the folder is written in short. For example, the folders are kept in alphabetical order and on guide card alphabet ‘S’ is written. It means that the folder contains all the correspondence of those customers whose names start from letter ‘S’.
4. Absent Cards: The colours of absent card is different than the colour of the folder and guide card. When the folder is taken out, this absent card is kept in the drawer in place of a folder. Absent card contains the details like folder number, the date when the folder was taken out, and the name of the person who took out the folder.
5. Transfer Cases: After some time with the regular incoming of letters and other documents, the file becomes full of them and there is no more space left in the file. At this point, all the old letters are removed and kept in a box made of tin or wood known as transfer cases.
6. Sorting Tubs: All the letters which are to be filed are kept in a tub, popularly known as sorting tub. This sorting tub contains guide cards so that the letters are sorted out in a systematic manner.
7. Distribution shelves: When all the letters are sorted out, the letters which are to be put in a particular drawer, are put in the distribution shelf which is attached with the handle of the drawer.
8. Collection Trays: In big organizations, there are two trays placed upon every table; one is meant for keeping incoming letters and the other is meant for letters which are to be despatched. These collection trays may either be made of wood or of wire.
What are the essentials of an ideal filing system?
Characteristics of Essentials of Good Filing System: Each and every filing system confers some merits and demerits too, but for being an ideal filing system it must have the following essentials incorporated in it:
1. Simplicity: Filing system should be so simple as requiring’no special training to handle. Where the filing system is technical and very much complicated, it is bound to create a lot of problems of inefficiency in work.
2. Safety: The main purpose of filing is to preserve the documents so that they may be used for future reference. That sort of filing must be adopted as is helpful in the preservation of documents from rats, insects, moisture etc.
3. Less Time Consuming: In business dealing, a lot of papers are taken out and replaced every day. All the letters and documents should be so field and in such a manner that no time is wasted in locating any letter.
4. Less Space Requiring: Already the business houses suffer accommodation problem. Only that filing system is successful which requires as little space as that is possible.
5. Economical: All the business houses cannot afford the filing system which is expensive. A good filing system should be of the kind which requires as little money as possible in its maintenance.
6. Easily Approachable: Files should be kept at such a place and in such a manner that anyone, authorised and willing to extract any document can reach the place conveniently.
7. Secrecy: The filing system should not be such as falling within the reach of anyone, though undesirable. If that is so, it would become very difficult to maintain secrecy. Where secrecy is disclosed, that may prove dangerous for any business house.
8. Elasticity: With the passage of time, the volume of business may grow. When the business is advanced, a number of letters and documents which are incoming and outgoing also increases. Hence, the filing system which is adopted should be capable of being varied or extended in future.
All Subject UP Board Solutions For Class 10 Hindi Medium
I think you got complete solutions for this chapter. If You have any queries regarding this chapter, please comment on the below section our subject teacher will answer you. We tried our best to give complete solutions so you got good marks in your exam.
यदि यह UP Board solutions से आपको सहायता मिली है, तो आप अपने दोस्तों को upboardsolutionsfor.com वेबसाइट साझा कर सकते हैं।